*Starting on June 1, inmates will no longer be permitted to receive greeting cards, postcards or photo prints in the mail. Photocopies of these items will be allowed as well as photo prints (no larger than 5" x 7") received directly from a printer, such as Walgreens or Shutterfly. All inmate correspondence must be written in pencil or blue or black ink on plain paper (no card stock). Inmates will be permitted to keep these items already in their possession, but any received on or after June 1 will be returned to the sender.*
The mailing address for inmates incarcerated in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center is:
Inmate Name and OMS #
Virginia Beach Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 6098
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456
Inmate OMS numbers are available through our inmate lookup system at inmateinfo.vbso.net.
All incoming and outgoing inmate mail is subject to inspection and may be opened and searched prior to delivery to the inmate. All legal mail will be opened and inspected in the presence of the inmate.
Mail with the incorrect address, missing inmate information and/or packages from unauthorized book sellers will be refused and returned to the sender.
Photographs printed from a computer will need to be no larger than 4” x 6”. Full-page computer printouts will no longer be accepted and will be seized as oversized photographs, regardless of the number of photographs on the paper. It is the responsibility of the sender to ensure the photographs are the correct size. We will not cut the photographs down to size.
- Must have a soft cover and come directly from the publisher or a well-known book store.
- Used books are not authorized.
- Magazines and newspapers must be from a subscription.
- Each inmate is allowed to receive a maximum of five books per day. All excess will be seized and placed in their property box. They will not be authorized to swap out books.
Authorized book publishers and sellers (not all-inclusive):
- Barnes & Noble
- Better World Books
Unauthorized book publishers and sellers (not all-inclusive):
- Amazon Marketplace
- Appalachian Prison Project
- Books for Prisoners
- Books Through Bars
- Thrift books
- Third party mailings
The Virginia Beach Correctional Center’s Inmate Library offers free books from the Library Cart throughout the facility.
The following items are considered CONTRABAND and are not permitted in the facility:
- Photographs larger than 4”x 6”, Polaroid photos, and/or photos that are deemed inappropriate
- Any tobacco products and/or paraphernalia
- Cash and/or checks
- Any gang-related material (photographs, letters, books - fact and fiction)
- Any sexually explicit material (photographs, letters, books – fact and fiction)
- Any tattoo-related material or tattoo paraphernalia
- Any material depicting or describing procedures for brewing alcohol or manufacturing drugs
- Any material written in code
- Information about planning, attempted or completed escape plots and/or criminal activity
- Envelopes, letters, greeting cards, photographs, etc. containing the following (handmade and/or purchased from store):
o Correction tape and/or correction fluid
o Tape, glue, staples, paperclips
o Stickers, glitter and any other forms of attachment
o Lotion, cologne and/or perfume
o Liquids, lipstick, and/or unknown substances
o Anything drawn or written in marker, Sharpie, crayon, highlighter, and/or glitter pens
- Cards larger than 9” x 11” when fully opened
- Unauthorized correspondences (such as mail between inmates)
- Publications that violate U.S. Postal Service regulations
- Matter that is detrimental to the security, good order or discipline of the institution or that might facilitate criminal activity
- Anything that advocates violence, overthrowing and/or rebellion against any government authority
- Material that advocates civil disobedience
- Depictions, descriptions and/or encouragement of activities that may lead to the use of physical violence or group disruption
- Publications and/or autobiographies depicting true crime, extremists or hate groups
- Threats, extortion, obscenity or gratuitous (uncalled for) profanity
- Anything that advocates violence and/or rebellion against any government authority
- Magazines and books not sent directly from the publisher/bookstore
- No hardback or spiral-bound material
- Any correspondence with information about the fabrication of weapons and/or explosives
- Any correspondence with information about electrical, plumbing, computer technology/coding and/or information detrimental to the safety and security of the facility (this includes educational material containing this information)
- Ordering forms or advertisements with ordering forms stating “Bill me later” - the only exception is for Prison Legal News
- Any Correspondence without a return address
- Any forwarded business and/or personal mail
- Blank stationary, blank paper, blank/stamped/postage paid envelopes, stamps, writing instruments and/or any other office supply
- Any correspondence on colored paper
- Gift items (including gift cards, bus passes, prepaid phone cards, food, etc.)
- Hazardous materials, biohazards and/or any objects deemed a threat to safety and security
Additional information is available in our Inmate Rulebook.